Thursday, October 4, 2007

Emma and the bear

After church one day I was grilling hamburgers outside with Emma when she said, "Look Mommy!" I was busily flipping and ignoring her many attempts to get me to look, look, look. Finally I looked and to my astonishment I saw a black bear standing six feet tall in the backyard! No joke! It then turned around and walked off into the woods. I was so shocked I called the sherriff's department and asked if a bear might have escaped from the zoo or if someone needed to come out and capture it. The receptionist must have thought I was an idiot but calmly told me that bear sightings were common that time of year and unless it attacked me, animal control wasn't necessary. Sarah and Whitney actually raced into the woods to see if they could also see it. Fortunately, that was the last sighting but my girls had bad dreams for weeks to come.

No comments: